Wednesday, January 19, 2011

my VISUAL style

I am relatively new to film, but I have been thinking visually for a while.  I have a background in photojournalism, nature and wildlife photography, as well as in graphic design and graphic art.  This is a collection of images that inspire me, move me, or just look real good.

I have always been interested in decay.  These images of deteriorating Detroit are hauntingly beautiful.  They depict places that were once thriving and full of life.  Now they are deserted, falling apart, and begging to tell a story.  Over time, these places have gained character, interest, and intrigue. 



I am also inspired by nature and wildlife photography.  We live on a crazy planet, with crazy creatures.  This goofy looking guy lives in of world of razor sharp rocks.  Wild.  This image is also evidence of the photographers commitment to getting a shot, a patience and determination that excites my inner adventurer. 




As a designer I am also obsessed with typography.  Type faces communicate beyond the words.  It gives copy a personality, tells the viewer how to read something, and can be a lot of fun.








My favorite photojournalist is Brent Stirton who is known to use studio lighting in the field.  This non traditional method makes this image of a New Guinean tribesman incredibly powerful. It helps to highlight the juxtaposition of a traditional culture and the impact of the west.

 

I am coming from a wide variety of visual backgrounds.  Through the New College I am attempting to combined all of these interests into a major.  I have an eye for anything different.  Anything that I am not use to seeing, or that makes me look twice.  I enjoy images that explore the colorful differences in culture around the world, as well as the breadth of biological diversity on this planet.  I see character, and a story in decay, and I love a really well designed gig poster.





No comments:

Post a Comment